It was two weeks ago when Microsoft made their major announcement of their plan to acquire Activision Blizzard for a whopping $68.7 billion, but Microsoft isn’t the only company executing big moves in 2022. Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is purchasing Bungie, the original creators of Halo and the popular MMO Destiny. Jim Ryan, President and CEO of SIE, assured players in a blog post:
“First off, I want to be very clear to the community that Bungie will remain an independent and multi-platform studio and publisher. As such, we believe it makes sense for it to sit alongside the PlayStation Studios organization, and we are incredibly excited about the opportunities for synergies and collaboration between these two world-class groups. I have spent a lot of time with Pete Parsons, Jason Jones, and the Bungie management team to develop the right relationships where they will be fully backed and supported by Sony Interactive Entertainment and enabled to do what they do best — build incredible worlds that captivate millions of people.”
According to Pete Parsons blog post, “With SIE’s support, the most immediate change you will see is an acceleration in hiring talent across the entire studio to support our ambitious vision.”
To help answer questions and put minds at ease regarding Destiny, Bungie has created a FAQ page:
1. As a Destiny 2 player, does Bungie becoming part of PlayStation have any immediate impact on how I play and experience Destiny 2?
No. Our commitment to Destiny 2 as a multi-platform game with full Cross Play remains unchanged.
We want you to play The Witch Queen on February 22, 2022, on the platform of YOUR choice.
2. Will the Destiny 2 experience on non-PlayStation platforms be impacted by Bungie becoming part of PlayStation?
No. We want to maintain the same great experience you already have on your platform of choice.
3. Will any announced seasons, events, packs, or expansions be changed or impacted by Bungie becoming part of PlayStation?
No. Bungie retains full creative independence for our games and our community. Our plans for the Light and Dark Saga are unchanged, all the way through The Final Shape in 2024.
4. Will Destiny 2: The Witch Queen include any platform exclusives?
No. The Witch Queen will not contain any platform exclusives. Every player should have an amazing Destiny experience, no matter where you choose to play
5. Will cross platform features, like Cross Save, Cross Play, the Destiny 2 Companion App, or third-party apps like Destiny Item Manager (DIM) be changed or removed?
No. Bungie’s commitment to cross-platform play and social features remains unchanged. We believe games are best shared with friends, wherever they choose to play, and will continue to invest in new features and platforms.
6. Bungie has future games in development, will they now become PlayStation exclusives?
No. We want the worlds we are creating to extend to anywhere people play games. We will continue to be self-published, creatively independent, and we will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community.
7. I play Destiny on Steam, Xbox, or Stadia – will my platform still be supported?
This story is still developing, check back for updates!